Friday, February 24, 2012

Manilla Madness

Nevermind why that photo's upside-down. It's a photo of a page of notes on a piece of literature that I just finished teaching in my "Journeys, Voyages, Quests" class. Now don't know what to do with it. I keep all my daily notes in folders on my desktop. Like this:
           
For literature courses, such as the one above, I arrange my notes into folders by author/title. For instance, in the "Odyssey" folder above, I find individual Word documents for each selection of Homer's classic epic poem. When I teach the Odyssey, I open the folder and find the document that corresponds to the passage designated on the syllabus' daily schedule. I open the document containing my notes and reread the passage while the notes document is open. That way, I can add to and change my notes as I reread the literature.

I've been using this system for years. It's a good system. It keeps my notes fresh and easy to find.

Another system I have (and any student who's taken a writing course from me knows that I'm dead serious about the virtues of this system) is my manilla folder system. I have a single manilla folder (or is it now called a "file folder"?) for each class that I teach. As I prepare for a given class period, I gather the needed documents (quizzes, notes, visual aids, etc.) into that folder. The folder also contains all relevant course documents, like a copy of the syllabus, a roster, presentation signup sheet(s), etc.

Inevitably, by week five, the folder is awash with loose sheets like this.
They're printed copies of updated notes to which I've add marginalia. This marginalia exists only on the single, separate sheet. It's unique, and it contains some wicked insights and/or successful schemes around which to organize class discussion. In other words, it's not something I can throw out. But I hate the clutter that these loose pages produce. 

Tell me there's an app for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment