Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Time Mgmt

This week, in my First-Year Seminar, I taught a subject I've never taught before: Time Management. 

I am fairly incapable of faking expertise in a subject (I'm downright hostile to the idea), and time management is a proficiency that I have definitely not mastered. I'm not bad. I'm never late (chronically early, actually) and I don't miss deadlines. But I have no coherent system for time management. What's worse, I tend to wax poetic about stuff, especially banal stuff like keeping to-do lists and writing in planners. I probably spent too much time marveling over the good time management strategies my students shared and not enough time offering any of my own wisdom about time management. 

But students do some smart stuff. Claire keeps all her academic deadlines/appointments in a planner and all her social reminders on her phone. Nice compartmentalization tactic. Ariana texts herself to remind herself of important, pending deadlines. Chelse is all about the Outlook reminders. 

Me, I put my pocket planner under the document camera to demonstrate the pleasure I take in crossing things off my daily to-do list. I also had to explain my unorthodox phonetic spelling of the word "students" (as "stoontz"). It's a spelling a friend of mine used once a long time ago in an email and it made me laugh. 

It's always important to make yourself laugh, I said. (Here's the great wisdom I offered.) The best thing you can do for the version of yourself who is going to read whatever note-to-self you write is to make sure that that future you knows that the past you, the one who wrote the note, had a sense of humor and that that past you loves the future you and knows that everything will be ok, despite the fact that that future you has to actually do the thing that the past you wrote down.

I also shared this: 

After class, I couldn't help but ask myself: Does the fact that I showed students that instead of teaching them how to make an Excel spreadsheet about their daily routines make me a good teacher or an awful teacher?

I posted this very question to my facebook profile and got nine "likes." We're all so crunched for time that all we can do for a "friend" experiencing self-doubt is offer a virtual thumb-up. 

Next week's FYS topic: Emotional Intelligence, wherein I probably fail to resist the urge to show this litmus test of late-adolescent angst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment